There are many opportunities for volunteer participation with H.E.L.P.
See below for specific volunteer roles and activities. Once you have submitted a volunteer application, someone will contact you to answer any questions you may have and get you started.
The following are some of the positions we currently have available:
Marketing & Public Relations
There are a wide variety of volunteer opportunities available in this area, including writing and posting press releases, assisting in promotion of services and events, & creating brochures and flyers as needed.
Dog and Cat Adoption Phone Screeners
Check voicemail messages from potential adopters through your phone or computer if you have speakers. Obtain the completed application, check vet reference, and forward application to foster home.
Volunteers are always needed to help with upcoming fundraising activities and events. Typically these events are posted on our website. If you are interested, we can use your help!
H.E.L.P. Website and Social Media
Assistance is needed in keeping our Facebook and Twitter up-to-date. Talented photographers are always needed as well. A picture is worth a thousand words!
You and your family would:
- Care for the foster pet or pets until they are adopted by a loving person or family, including taking the foster pet to the vet.
- Get your foster pet posted on our website (we have volunteer photographers or you can take your own pictures).
- Allow potential adopters to visit the pet at your home, and you will make the final determination of their suitability for your foster pet. Potential adopters are first screened, and then referred to you by volunteers who answer our adoption line. [CAT FOSTERS: There are opportunities to have the cat go to the PetSmart Adoption Center in Geneva for adoption.]
- Participate occasionally in adoption events.
- Fill out associated adoption paperwork.
PetSmart – Cleaning cat cages and interacting/playing with cats
Did you know that the cats at the Geneva PetSmart are cared for almost entirely by H.E.L.P. volunteers?
That's an important part of our mission--to make sure our cats are in a clean, healthy environment prior to adoption. That's what this position is all about! Please help us keep up the good work!
This position involves cleaning and disinfecting the cats' cages, supplies, and kennel area. It may not sound glamorous, but it's really important to make sure our cats stay healthy and happy. Some reaching and bending is required to reach those lower cages, but all it takes is two hours a week. When the work is done, you can reward yourself and the PetSmart kitties with some quality one-on-one time! (Brushing and playing are absolutely allowed!)
We are in need of cleaners to take a particular shift each week:
- 1st , 2nd or 4th Tuesday evening of each month
- 1st , 2nd or 4th Thursday evening of each month
- 1st and 4th Saturday of each month
- 2nd and 3rd Sunday of each month
We will train you for this position. Volunteers must be 18 years of age, due to PetSmart rules.
PetSmart cat adoption representative
H.E.L.P. is in need of cat adoption counselors at the Adoption Center at PetSmart on Randall Road in Geneva. Generally, people take one 2-hour shift per month, but you are welcome to take more. We will train you.
- Any Sunday of the month (1:30 - 3:30 p.m.)
- First, third, or fourth Thursday (6 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- First, fourth, or fifth Saturday (Noon - 2 p.m.)
- Talking to potential adopters, answering their questions and showing them cats.
- Completing HELP Adoption Paperwork.
- Hanging out with adorable cats and kittens!